Most IELTS or TOEFL essays are either opinion or pros and cons. These are OPINION essay ideas.
A lot of ESL students have the goal of IELTS or TOEFL, and one of the hardest parts of the writing exam is coming up with ideas to write about. So what I wanted to do here is to give a few essay topics and instead of giving you the whole essay (because that is up to you), I wanted to give you some ideas for each topic.
At the bottom of each group of ideas I have also included an ACRONYM. An ACRONYM is a short group of letters that you can remember to help you recall the ideas when you are sitting in your exam. (Some people find acronyms helpful to remember information quickly, if it doesn’t work for you, don’t worry about it)
- WOMEN: Some people believe woman’s place is in the home, while others say that idea is outdated and that all women should be given the same work opportunities as men. What is your opinion?
3 opinion ideas for women working:
1. Women are often better at some jobs than men, e.g. child care
2. Women have equal education so should have equal employment opportunities too
3. Women today have so much technological help at home, they don’t need to be there and so are bored staying at home
2. HEALTH: Nothing is more important to a country’s future than their health care system. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3 opinion ideas for health care systems being more important:
1. Without good health people cannot be financially independent from the government
2. Without good health people cannot be educated
3. Without good health people cannot work
- GOVERNMENT: Some people say that one of the most important areas for government funding should be building the economy, while others believe that education is more important. Which do you believe is more important?
3 opinions why education is more important than building the economy
1. Education brings a skilled workforce
2. Educated people earn good money to spend to build the economy
3. Educated people bring new ideas into the country to develop all areas
- TRANSPORT: Statistics show that young drivers have the most car accidents compared to older drivers. Some people believe we should teach children the skills of safe driving while they are at school. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
3 opinions why school children should be taught safe driving skills
1. School children are more willing to learn because it will be part of their curriculum
2. Making safe driving a subject at school shows the importance of knowing it as an adult
3. Things we learn as a child we know forever
- TECHNOLOGY: Some people believe that social networking has in fact made us lonelier than less lonely. In what extent do you agree or disagree.
3 opinions why social networking has made us less lonely:
1. We can have more friends both locally and internationally
2. It is easier to make a friend online than in person because we don’t feel so nervous
3. We can find more like-minded people through comments, shares and likes.
If you find this useful, let me know and I will create some more.
All the best!