- English has official or special status in at least 75 countries with a total population of over 2,000,000,000.
- English is spoken as a first language by around 375 million and as a second language by around 375 million speakers in the world
- Speakers of English as a second language probably outnumber those who speak it as a first language
- Around 750 million people are believed to speak English as a foreign language.
- On average, 25% of the world’s population speak English to some level of competence;
- Demand from the other 75% is increasing.