(Photo credit http://bit.ly/1sTJHkc)
After the amazing response from the last batch of ideas for IELTS Opinion essays, I’ve created some more … check them out.
- People are now living longer than ever before and many old people are unable to look after themselves. Some people believe that it is the responsibility of families to look after the elderly, while others say governments should provide retirement homes for them where they can be looked after properly. Discuss
Ideas: Families should look after their elders
- a. Their parents did everything for them and now it’s time to give back
- b. Being close to your family is the healthiest way to live
- c. Old people living with young people keeps them young at heart
OPINION: Parents should look after their children
- Modern lifestyles mean that many parents have little time for their children. Many children do not get as much attention from their parents as children did in the past. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- a. Children will grow up too fast and will not have the child time to learn how to play and be creative because they are too busy trying to look after themselves or their siblings
- b. Children will get into trouble and not know right from wrong
- c. Parents presence in a child’s life shows love to them and so they will know how to love others
OPINION: Agree – Parents are the key educators of morality for children and it is important, if they don’t raise their children society will break down.
- It is said that travel broadens the mind. What can we learn by travelling to other countries? Should we first explore our own countries? Discuss. Ideas:
- a. Travel abroad helps us understand how others think
- b. Travel helps us build personal responsibility and maturity because we have to buy our own tickets, get around and often try to make sense of a foreign language
- c. Travel helps us to understand ourselves as we are constantly being bombarded by information that may make us question our beliefs
OPINION: It is better to travel internationally when you are young as you have more energy to get through the difficult experiences, however you can always come back and see your own country when you are older.
- In many countries people working in sport and entertainment earn much more money than professionals like doctors, nurses and teachers. Why do you think this happens in some societies and do you consider it is good or bad?Ideas: It happens because
- a. Technology now is such that everyone can know everything about everyone and so if you are famous you will get a lot more attention than before, therefore you are marketable
- b. Celebrities live a very public life so need to be paid for the lack of privacy
- c. Celebrities do a lot for the entertainment of others and people value that more than anything else these days
OPINION: BAD: Because it gives a false view of what life should be like for people
- The impact of social media in our lives is powerful. Some say it helps people to connect and others say it helps people to disconnect. What is your opinion?Ideas: It helps people to connect
- a. People can find friends in areas they have a particular interest
- b. It’s much easier for companies to connect with their customers and make sure they get what they want from their products and services because they are constantly talking with them all
- c. It is has no prejudice, anyone of any age, any culture and any religion can go online and meet others of like minds
OPINION: It helps people connect to people and things in a far more personal way because you can find exactly what you are looking for within seconds
More useful IELTS Task Links on my pages:
- IELTS Writing 2 task explained
- How to write an essay
- Papers and essay services
- SAT Essay topics