(Photo credit: http://bit.ly/1jVdGuC)
To make things simple in this day and age, we need to be clear. The changing technology available is not going to change anything in you unless you understand the fundamental ESL principles that will never die.
- You need to know WHY you are learning this language – this will give you context from the start
- You need to understand where you are at in your language acquisition and do an ESL course to take you from there
- You need to go to class, listen to the teacher and do your homework
- You need to practice your English outside the classroom at any opportunity to improve
- You must not be shy to make a mistake
- You need to befriend the part of you that is the ‘English speaker’ and jump into role whenever you can
- You need to know that patience and persistence is the key and it should take at least 6 months to be able to make a simple conversation confidently with someone about something you care about
- English language is a ‘language’, that means it is all about communication, so communicate! Whether that be in writing, speaking or the other side of reading and listening.
Got any more?