(Photo credit: http://bit.ly/2rT06jk)
If only there were a fast track to learning English, just plug yourself into this machine and go to sleep and bim-bam-boom the next morning you are a fluent English speaker. There are plenty of people who still somehow think that this new phenomena will soon be discovered and it will be all over the world within weeks. Not so, unfortunately our brain just doesn’t work that way. The reality is that hard work and practice of English is the only thing that will improve your English to a fluent level.
At the same time there are some things that students can do to make sure that the English they are utilizing is going to help them for the long haul. These aspects are as follows:
- Make sure you have a good teacher
- Someone who can speak English well
- Someone who is caring enough to be strict with you and also supportive
- Someone who understands how to teach well
- Make sure you register at a good ESL centre
- A place that has a friendly environment
- A place that has a modern comfortable learning environment
- A place that is within your price range and provides value for this price
- Make sure you have a good reason to learn English
- Understand why you are learning
- Understand exactly what you need to get to where you are going e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, Business English
- Seek advice from others who are seeking or have sought the same goal
- Make sure you understand yourself and learning
- Do research on what it takes to get to your goal – 6 months, 12 months, etc.
- Evaluate what you are learning as you go and seek opportunities to strengthen your skills at every turn
- Complete all that is required of you from your teacher and school
In this day and age English is a must for anyone who wants to become global, and nowadays with the internet, almost everyone has to consider this option. But remember only one thing – there are no short cuts, and only English will improve your English.