(Photo credit: http://bit.ly/2tnAqMn)
I personally love this idea because it’s all about being human and being yourself. But what does it mean to make your English earthy? Let’s take a deeper look.
To be ‘earthy’ really means that you are being real in your desires and intentions. When you are using your English in this manner, you are going to get a lot more traction out of it, because people are more likely to listen to you.
Simple ways to approach this are:
- Ask questions that you genuinely want to know the answer to
- Describe what you see ‘exactly’ as you see i’
- Say only what you truly believe
- Don’t worry about offending people, you can always apologize
- Learn how to write in your own style amongst your friends
- Don’t be afraid to listen to bad English, you can always correct it yourself
And so it goes on.
Earthy English is ‘real’ English, and real English is the only English that will get people’s attention. Speaking in ‘proper textbook English’ will switch off most listeners. Saying what you really mean in the only way you know how is what will get conversations going and people talking.